…from My Studio

...from My Studio                                                                                              
 

  Two years ago, my daughter presented me with a book My Mother’s Life.  Contained therein were questions designed to be answered by “Mother.” (That would be me.) Being a dutiful momma, I set out answering the questions and have been struck with the therapeutic value of such reflection. In responding, I have revisited  pleasant places; memories long dormant have been resuscitated. Appreciation for parents, siblings, friends, and mere acquaintances has intensified. I have become increasingly aware of the debt I owe to those who have contributed to this life I have been given. My plans are to finish My Mother’s Life, and perhaps my family will appreciate my labor, maybe even read it, but something tells me, I will reap the most benefit. I am the richer. One of the paradoxes of life is in giving, we are given in return.

      With that realization in view, I have been thinking about my creative life. In Austin Kleon’s Artist  Trilogy Steal Like An Artist, he discusses the impact of sharing what we know. That sharing involves more than a one-man exhibit of our work, but what we have learned and are learning, the mistakes we’ve made, the questions we confront, the struggles we have had to arrive at that one-man show. Rather than hide our struggles, keep our secrets, clutch our methods to ourselves, we should share what we have learned/are learning with others. Contrary to our inclination to think this would subtract from our work, our sharing freely adds to our work. “Give and it shall be given back to you…” Luke 6:38  said someone who knows how life works. 

          So, I will try this…this sharing of my creative life. Let me warn you, the entire effort is motivated by selfish motives. I do so long to grow as an artist and continue to make art, not just art but good art. From time to time, monthly probably, I will post a blog “…from My Studio.”  I make no promises; the effort may be a temporary affair, just something I tried once upon a time. You are welcome to join me. I will be sharing reflections, recommendations, tips, memories, whatever is on my mind at the time. Feel free to join the experiment. Kurt Vonnegut words, “Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow.” Feel free to join me in this process.



         


Comments