Studios I have Known…



      I remember reading an article in an art magazine years ago that highlighted the working studios of successful contemporary artists. My attention was piqued when I noticed a section that presented the studio of one of my favorite artists. Located in the California mountains, the cathedral ceiling studio was complete with glass frontage that opened to a spectacular mountain vista. Oriental rugs covered a plush sitting area with leather sofa (no doubt genuine)and matching chairs. I suppose this sitting area was for clients, for the artist painted too much to do much sitting. Supplies were neatly arranged on polished wood shelving. Monumental canvas, frames, and works in progress were neatly arranged in artistic fashion. The space reeked with success, classical old world style, and yes, money. At the time of reading, I was painting in a concrete block tool shed in the back yard. My supplies were crammed in a cardboard box. The place was dangerously hot in the central Florida heat and was unheated in the winter. I can’t remember being particularly disheartened by the article, however. Ensconced between lawnmower and garden tools, I busily turned out “masterpieces” while sweat ran between my shoulder blades. I was on a mission.  The evolution of my work space supports the statement about success being achieved by ordinary people with extraordinary determination. I marvel at the how my needs have been met.

      When I began taking art lessons in junior high, I would use my mother’s kitchen table. My sweet momma had no qualms in my “making a mess” as long as I cleaned up. She understood the need for a work space. Later, I would use my own kitchen table, corner of the garage, back porch, and unfurnished room. I thought I had arrived when I lived in a house with an upstairs bonus room, but the best has been the last. My current studio is downstairs, directly below a two-car garage with the exact dimensions. I have storage space, working area, good lighting,  and even a sitting area. Though not a mountainside structure with vista below, I’m content. The bottom line is to have a designated spot. Your space may be portable (as my cardboard box) until better accommodations can be arranged. Make it as organized and workable as possible. Make it your space. Know where your tools are. Get busy creating the art you want to see.  If the desire to create is stronge and consistent, the universe will provide space as needed. Trust me on that one.

Comments

  1. Ok ok I’ll clean up my studio tomorrow, I went to Tamarack today and made a mess on the way out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment