Staying Creative—Find Your Tribe


      “I need to paint, but I’m just not in the mood.” I’ve heard fellow artists say it countless times. I’ve said it myself. Staying creative requires knowing yourself and becoming familiar with steps you can take to generate creative juices. One such step is associating with people who share similiar interests. After relocating to a state in which I knew no one except family, my creative life was adrift. Although, not a social butterfly, I have learned that my creative energy is enhanced by those of like spirit, fellow artists. In my case, I’ve learned the hard way that painting is not solely a solitary pursuit. Visions of hermit-like characters cloistered in the attic studio painting until wee hours may be applicable for a few, but not for me. I needed to find my tribe. The fact of the matter is I paint better with others. The communal energy is supportive and invigorating. The feedback is invaluable. Don’t make the mistake of being a lone wolf. My advice is to find a class or a group that paints together. Start one of your own. Ask in craft/hobby shops for names and places. Scan social media for local art groups. They are there waiting for you and you need them. Within the last year, I’ve become a part of a loosely-knit plein air group that meets once a month to paint at designated locations. Besides a traditional class on Saturday, I often go to a close friend’s house to paint in her basement. These connections are vital to my painting, but more importantly, some have become close friends. They help me be a better painter and person. Pictured is the plein air group, of which I am a part, eating lunch after plein air session. 





Comments

  1. I am so thankful for your friendship, and enthusiasm, and dedication. Long may you have all these things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment