Preparing to Paint

A quote I heard once is applicable to today’s blog. “A failure to plan is a plan to fail.” So many of my painting bloopers, scrub outs, and trashed pieces can be directly traced to poor planning. In my excitement to “get started,” I often fail to take the time to “think through” what I want to see happen. I skip preliminary thumb nail sketches, value sketches, soul searching questions related to purpose or message. Like a kid at an amusement park, I just want to be turned lose without constraints. …not smart at all. As difficult as it is to force myself to slow down and think, I have learned the hard way that taking time beforehand saves untold disappointment on the other end. One process that has proven helpful involves the use of a craft paper sketch book. I’ve found the size most helpful is a 6x9 spiral bound deal. The pages are, as the name implies, brown craft paper, much like the trusty grocery bag of your mother’s day. The color is a great neutral that provides a nice surface. In fact, I like that neutral brown tone so much that I often apply a wash of brown umber and burnt umber (equal parts) on my canvas to duplicate the effect. On  craft paper, I begin by sketching a miniature version of image, not detailed just basic shapes. I may sketch more than one composition until I settle on the one that makes me happy. After I settle on composition, I paint with dry paint. No solvent on that craft paper!  Taking the time to do this, gives me a relatively clear idea how the image would look in a larger format. While on the craft paper, I decide the dimensions needed for larger canvas. By the time I’ve completed this craft paper version, I have a good idea where I’m headed. No wasted time is spent sketching, resketching image on the large canvas. I know where to place shapes. Below is an example of craft paper study.

This 7x7 study proved helpful in painting the 20x20 version below. One thing I’ve noticed is that when I take the time to do this, I’m not constrained to depend on  my photo references. My final work is much more painterly and does not have a “photo copy” look. My craft paper books are slowly becoming works of art themselves. My daughter has claimed them, for she enjoys reading my notes and seeing work process. I’ll let her see to that. In the meantime I am enjoying both the planning AND painting.


                                              Ridin’ the Midland Trail 20x20 on gallery wrap


 


Comments